what’s belly fat
Belly fat is actually made up of two different kinds of fats…..
1. Subcutaneous fat is below the surface of the skin and can be pinched with fingers or calipers when measuring bodyfat.
2. Visceral belly fat is inside the abdominal wall, below the muscles and can’t be measured with calipers. Losing visceral fat will decrease your waist circumference and make you look much leaner around the middle.
- Visceral belly fat is considered a metabolically active “organ” because it releases substances called adipokines, which are cell to cell signaling proteins that increase blood pressure, raise LDL bad cholesterol and alter insulin sensitivity, causing diabetes.
- Adipokines released from visceral belly fat actually degrade muscle quality and turn it into fat.
- Diabetes and large amounts of visceral belly fat are generally interrelated health problems that are closely linked with development of cardiovascular disease. (Poliquin, Charles 2012)
All this fancy talk really means that its not a good thing to have fat around your waistline. Everybody stores fat differently! Don’t believe me? One day just take a seat at your local mall and stare at people. Everybody has a different body type and they come in all shapes and sizes. Men tend to store bellyfat around their waistline. Women tend to store fat around their arms, legs and butts. In the last couple years a new term has been established called “skinny fat”. I swear I’m not making this up….Skinny fat has a look of skinny arms and legs with a basketball around the middle. This type of look is definitely the least healthy and the most at risk for diabetes and heart problems.
Is there a cure? Of course there is and its been a hidden secret for years if you watch all the infomercials and believe the mainstream media….it’s called EXERCISE!! Add in a healthy menu of good for you foods and voila, a healthy, slim and shapely physique that can be altered by using weights for strength training and walking/hiking/running for heart healthy cardiovascular training. In the next blog we will present the 15 most important tips to decrease belly fat……